Structural Pest Inspection

Residential Structural Pest Inspection | Commercial Structural Pest InspectionTo assure homeowners that their investment is free from structural pests such as Anobiid Beetles, Dampwood Termites, Carpenter Ants, and rot fungi (common in the Pacific Northwest), many lenders and realtors will recommend that a structural pest inspector be hired to examine the residence.

By state law, the act of inspecting for pests, their signs, or conducive conditions requires the inspector be licensed by the Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA). This is separate from a licensed Home Inspection which is governed by the Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL). Home inspectors that are not licensed Structural Pest Inspectors (SPI) “shall only refer in his or her report to rot or conducive conditions for wood destroying organisms and shall refer the identification of or damage by wood destroying insects to a structural pest inspector” which means they defer classification of the condition to an SPI which may result in a second inspection.  Licensed Structural pest inspectors must also be bonded or insured and must use WSDA-issued Inspection Control Numbers. The following link detail these requirements:

Structural Pest Inspector Requirements Fact Sheet

Inside N Out Inspectors are licensed Structural Pest Inspectors and are insured and bonded.  Each home inspection includes a thorough SPI. Occasionally we are asked to provide SPI’s without the a home inspection, and are happy to accommodate those requests. If you are shopping for a Home Inspector ensure that he/she is also a licensed Structural Pest Inspector.

Got Questions?

For more information about Structural Pest Inspections or to schedule an inspection
Call 360-393-0274.